Russia has lashed out following comments from US Secretary of State John Kerry:
- RUSSIA SAYS KERRY THREATS ARE `UNACCEPTABLE’
- RUSSIA SAYS KERRY ISN’T ANALYSING SITUATION IN UKRAINE
- KERRY IS USING COLD WAR SLOGANS, RUSSIA FOREIGN MINISTRY SAYS
In comments on the Russian foreign ministry website, Lavrov added:
- RUSSIAN MEASURES IN UKRAINE ARE `REASONABLE,’ `LEGAL’: FOR.MIN.
- U.S., ALLIES IGNORED VIOLENCE, RUSSOPHOBIA IN UKRAINE PROTESTS
- G-8 HALT OF PREPARATIONS FOR SUMMIT IS UNCONSTRUCTIVE: RUSSIA
In addition, EU ministers debate freezing the assets of Ukrainians responsible for corruption and “targeted measures” against Russia if no change of course is undertaken.
- EU Ministers Debate Freezing Assets of Ukrainians Responsible for Corruption – Draft Text
- EU Debates Calling Russian Crimea Actions “Invasion” – Draft Text
- EU Commends Ukraine’s Response to Russia Actions – Draft
- EU Will Suspend Visa Negotiations with Russia – Draft Text
- EU Debating Placing Arms Embargo on Russia If No Change of Course
- EU Could Prepare Future “Targeted Measures” vs Russia If No Change in Course – Draft
Perhaps most notable though this morning was the following headline:
- RUSSIA DEP FORMIN KARASIN SPOKE ON UKRAINE W/ CHINA COUNTERPART
- RUSSIA: CHINA EXPRESSED UNDERSTANDING OF ITS UKRAINE ANALYSIS
- RUSSIA, CHINA DISCUSSED UKRAINE’S INTERNAL POLITICAL CRISIS
In other words, China was well aware of the plan and appears comfortable taking sides.