Russia has lashed out following comments from US Secretary of State John Kerry:
- RUSSIA SAYS KERRY THREATS ARE `UNACCEPTABLE’
- RUSSIA SAYS KERRY ISN’T ANALYSING SITUATION IN UKRAINE
- KERRY IS USING COLD WAR SLOGANS, RUSSIA FOREIGN MINISTRY SAYS
In comments on the Russian foreign ministry website, Lavrov added:
- RUSSIAN MEASURES IN UKRAINE ARE `REASONABLE,’ `LEGAL’: FOR.MIN.
- U.S., ALLIES IGNORED VIOLENCE, RUSSOPHOBIA IN UKRAINE PROTESTS
- G-8 HALT OF PREPARATIONS FOR SUMMIT IS UNCONSTRUCTIVE: RUSSIA
In addition, EU ministers debate freezing the assets of Ukrainians responsible for corruption and “targeted measures” against Russia if no change of course is undertaken.
- EU Ministers Debate Freezing Assets of Ukrainians Responsible for Corruption – Draft Text
- EU Debates Calling Russian Crimea Actions “Invasion” – Draft Text
- EU Commends Ukraine’s Response to Russia Actions – Draft
- EU Will Suspend Visa Negotiations with Russia – Draft Text
- EU Debating Placing Arms Embargo on Russia If No Change of Course
- EU Could Prepare Future “Targeted Measures” vs Russia If No Change in Course – Draft
Perhaps most notable though this morning was the following headline:
- RUSSIA DEP FORMIN KARASIN SPOKE ON UKRAINE W/ CHINA COUNTERPART
- RUSSIA: CHINA EXPRESSED UNDERSTANDING OF ITS UKRAINE ANALYSIS
- RUSSIA, CHINA DISCUSSED UKRAINE’S INTERNAL POLITICAL CRISIS
In other words, China was well aware of the plan and appears comfortable taking sides.
…Putin’s audacity is underpinned by the reality that, while patience is wearing thin, the Obama administration holds few options for punishing a leader who’s already calculated that the fallout is worth the message to the world that Russia will fight fiercely for its interests…
via McClatchy DC.