The Gun Rights Consensus: The real reasons the Senate trounced the Obama agenda | WSJ
“A pretty shameful day for Washington,” President Obama called it, with “pretty” being the only remnant of his famous cool. In the Rose Garden, Obama blamed the failure of gun control in the Senate Wednesday on three causes:
- “The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill.“
- The Senators who voted against it are cowardly and had “…no coherent arguments as to why we wouldn’t do this. It came down to politics...”
- And finally”…a minority was able to block it from moving forward…” through “…this continuing distortion of Senate rules.”
The media are amplifying Mr. Obama’s themes with less subtlety, amid a collective aneurysm in Washington and New York. Yet this combination of animus and overreach explains why the post-Newtown gun debate has been such a lost opportunity. Continue reading
How shock waves will hit US if Greece drops euro | AP
… They think the path of a full-blown crisis would start in Greece, quickly move to the rest of Europe and then hit the U.S. Stocks and oil would plunge, the euro would sink against the U.S. dollar, and big banks would suffer losses on complex trades…
- ACT I. What would Greece’s exit look like? In the worst case, it starts off messy.
- ACT II. Here’s where things get scary.
- ACT III. A full-blown crisis would cross the Atlantic through the dense web of contracts, loans and other financial transactions that tie European banks to those in the U.S., experts say...via News from The Associated Press